Always check the ingredients to make sure the product is vegan. This countrified rice dish is made with real vegetables, kidney beans, and chili powder, cooked to smooth perfection, and served with other vegetable dishes, as it is great for lunch or dinner and keeps a sharp taste with the rice.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion, yellow or white only
- 1 can (14 oz.) drained kidney beans
- 2 ½ cups water
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1 cup chunky salsa sauce
- ¼ cup dry green lentils
- ¼ cup chopped red bell pepper
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 12 thick slices tomato
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Cook the onion for 5 minutes or until tender but not browned.
- Add beans, stock, rice, corn, salsa, lentils, sweet pepper, chili powder, and garlic. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until rice and lentils are tender and most of the liquid is absorbed. Serve over tomato slices.