Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Source: Marlboro Country Cookbook
- Makes 8 Servings
- 4 cups cold mashed potatoes
- ½ cup crumbled crisp bacon or diced ham
- ¼ cup minced or grated onion
- ¼ cup chopped fresh herbs, optional (tarragon, dill, parsley, etc.)
- ½ tsp black pepper
- bacon fat or butter
- ½ cup dry bread crumbs
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup shredded cheese (cheddar, jack, etc.)
- Combine mashed potatoes, bacon, onion, herbs and pepper, stirring until well mixed.
- Grease a shallow baking pan with bacon fat.
- Sprinkle with bread crumbs.
- Spoon 8 mounds of potato mixture onto pan.
- With back of spoon, make deep depressions large enough to contain eggs in the potatoes.
- Bake in a 450 oven for 10 minutes or until potatoes are hot.
- Reduce heat to 350°F.
- Drop eggs into potato hollows.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until eggs are set.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Return to oven for a few minutes until cheese melts and eggs are done.