Makes 6 servings
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 8-ounce cans tomato sauce
- ½ teaspoon basil leaves
- ½ teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- Cook onion, green pepper and garlic in oil in large skillet until soft but not brown.
- Stir in tomato sauce, basil, oregano, salt and black pepper.
- Cook 15 minutes over medium-low heat, stirring often.
- Sprinkle with parsley.
- Break eggs and slide carefully into sauce.
- Sprinkle eggs with cheese.
- Cover and cook slowly until eggs are of desired doneness (about 5 minutes).
- Place eggs on mounds of rice and cover with sauce.