Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Makes 4 servings of eggplant and tomato gratin.
- 2 large tomatoes, cut into slices
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 large eggplants, cut into slices
- ¼ cup unseasoned bread crumbs
- ¾ tsp dried oregano
- ¾ tsp dried basil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ½ cup half and half
- 1½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Place tomato slices on paper towels, sprinkle with ¼ tsp salt.
- Place more paper towels on top.
- Let stand 30 min.
- Pat top of tomatoes.
- Coat both sides of eggplant with cooking spray.
- Heat broiler.
- Broil eggplant on baking sheet coated with cooking spray for 5 min.
- On each side or until tender.
- Reduce oven heat to 350 °F.
- Coat a 2½ quart baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs over the bottom.
- Arrange eggplant and tomato slices, alternating, around baking dish.
- Sprinkle casserole with oregano, basil, garlic and remaining salt.
- Drizzle with half and half.
- Top with both cheeses.
- Cover with foil.
- Bake 45 min.
- Remove foil, bake 10 min. or until cheese is golden.
- Cool 10 min. then serve.