A Middle Eastern dip for crudités, pita crisps or romaine lettuce leaves!
- 1 large head garlic, roasted* (see below)
- 3 large eggplants, whole with skin on
- 1 medium vidalia, red or other sweet onion, chopped
- ½ cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped [optional]
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon Tabasco sauce [optional]
- salt and pepper, to taste
- On a gas or preferably charcoal barbecue, roast the whole eggplant evenly on all sides until the skin is charred or the eggplant is soft.
- Set aside and let cool.
- Peel off charred skin,or scoop out the soft insides of the eggplant and place in a large bowl.
- Add garlic, olive oil, onion, parsley, basil, Tabasco® sauce, salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve as a canapé, or serve with Armenian cracker bread, as a vegetable dip, or as a vegetable side dish.
- Can be served hot or cold.
Roasted garlic Edit
- Peel outer skin layer from head of fresh garlic, leaving cloves and head intact.
- Place head on double thickness of foil; top with 1 teaspoon butter and a sprig of fresh rosemary or oregano (or ¼ teaspoon dried).
- Fold up and seal.
- Bake in a 375°F oven for 55 – 60 minutes.
- Squeeze cloves from skins and set aside.
- Discard skins.