Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
I have more cookbooks... but many do not have recipes on page 17. It's usually some part of an intro to the cookbook. Here is a Page 17 recipe:
This is a good recipe to make in large quantities, either at the firehouse or for parties. You can freeze the leftovers or refrigerate and eat them over the next several days. When I make it at the firehouse, however, there usually aren't any leftovers.
- Source: Cooking with the Firehouse Chef by Keith Young FDNY Ladder-156
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Cooking time: 25 minutes
- Serves 12 to 15
- 2 cups extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 large eggplants, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 2 cups flour
- 9 eggs, beaten
- 3 pounds ricotta cheese
- 1½ pounds mozzarella cheese, grated
- 2 cups freshly grated romano cheese
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ⅓ lb prosciutto, thickly sliced and diced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley or basil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 recipe My Marinara Sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Fill a large skillet with olive oil to a depth of about ¼ inch and set it over medium-high heat.
- Dip the eggplant in the flour and then in the beaten egg.
- When the oil is hot enough for a bit of flour to sizzle when it's dropped in, fry the eggplant in batches for about 2 minutes on each side, until it's lightly browned.
- Transfer the slices to a sheet pan as they're done, and keep adding a bit more oil to the pan as needed.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ricotta, ⅔ the mozzarella, ½ the romano, the garlic, prosciutto, parsley or basil, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Place about 1 tablespoon of the mixture at one long end of an eggplant slice, roll it up, and transfer it, open side down, to a baking dish large enough to hold all the eggplant in a single layer.
- Repeat this process with the remaining eggplant and filling.
- Cover the rolled eggplant with the marinara sauce, sprinkle with the remaining mozzarella and romano, and bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes or until hot.
- Serve immediately.