These soft, thin cookies are ideal for the holidays because they can be made in advance and frozen. Plus, because the recipe makes 10 dozen, it's a good choice for a cookie exchange. Any leftover eggnog can be frozen.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- About 10 dozen (2¼-inch) cookies
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup purchased eggnog
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg 
- 5½ cups all purpose flour
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 5 to 6 tablespoons purchased eggnog
- 4 teaspoons dark rum or ¼ teaspoon rum extract
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg 
- In large bowl, beat sugar and butter at medium speed until creamy.
- Beat in 1 cup eggnog, baking soda and nutmeg until blended.
- Gradually beat in flour until well blended.
- Cover and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- On lightly floured surface, roll out dough ¼ inch thick.
- Cut out with cookie cutters; place cookies on baking sheet.
- Bake 6 to 8 minutes or until lightly browned on bottom.
- Cool on wire racks.
- Meanwhile, in medium bowl, whisk together all glaze ingredients until smooth.
- Spread glaze over cooled cookies.