Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 1½ sticks (12 tablespoons) butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups chopped bell peppers
- 2 cups chopped celery
- ¼ pound chopped ham
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 dozen hard-boiled eggs, peeled and halved lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- 2 cups chicken stock, ham stock, or water
- 6 tablespoons chopped parsley
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Sprinkle on the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until the roux turns a light tan.
- Add the onions, bell peppers, celery, and ham, and sauté until the onions are soft and golden, about 10 minutes. (the roux should darken further during this cooking).
- Add the garlic, eggs, salt, and cayenne and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the stock or water little by little, stirring the whole time to avoid lumps.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the parsley and green onions.
- Stir and cook for about 2 minutes more.
- Serve right away.