Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Source: dLife
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small red pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 small yellow pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 small green pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 – 2 small red chiles, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 x 14 oz can Italian peeled tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon harissa
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds, ground
- ½ teaspoon fresh paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives or flat-leaf parsley
- 4 thick slices grainy bread
- In a large frying pan over low heat, heat the oil and gently cook the peppers until they are soft, about 10 minutes or so.
- Stir in the garlic and chile and cook for an additional 1 – 2 minutes.
- Next, add the tomatoes, harissa and spices, and stir to combine well.
- Increase the heat to medium and then let the tomato mixture cook uncovered for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the tomatoes have reduced to a thick pulp.
- Using the back of a spoon, make 4 equally spaced depression in the tomato mixture, then carefully break one egg into each depression.
- Cover the pan and leave it to simmer for about 5 minutes, or until the yolks are still soft, but the whites of the eggs are cooked.
- Sprinkle with the chives or parsley and serve immediately with toasted grainy bread.
Alternative method Edit
- Alternatively, you can also prepare this dish by pouring the tomatoes mixture into four individual ovenproof dishes.
- After making the egg depression and cracking the egg on top, cover each dish lightly with foil and bake in a preheated oven for 15 – 20 minutes at 350°F.
Nutritional information Edit
- Calories: 265 | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 13g | Total Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Fiber: 5g | Sodium: 375mg