This is from the Taste of Home Best of Country Cooking 2007 and was submitted by Debbie Harris. This is so easy to make and has excellent flavor. I used regular rice and baked this a little longer before adding the cheese. I also use reduced-salt, 99% fat free broth.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Serves 6
- 1¾ cups uncooked instant rice
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- garlic salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1 (14½ ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 cup picante sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped green bell pepper
- ½ shredded Monterey jack cheese
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Spread the rice in a greased 13x9x2-inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle both sides of chicken with garlic salt and pepper; place over rice.
- In a bowl, combine the broth, picante sauce, tomato sauce, onion and green pepper; pour over the chicken.
- Cover and bake at 350°F for 55 minutes or until rice is tender and chicken juices run clear.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.