Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Makes 4 (1½-cup) servings
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 ounces turkey kielbasa link sausage, sliced
- 6 ounces cubed chicken thigh meat
- 12 ounces thawed pepper and onion mix
- ¾ cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt 6 ounces frozen uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ¾ cup uncooked instant brown rice
- Place a Dutch oven over medium heat until hot.
- Add oil and sausage.
- Cook until sausage begins to brown, stirring frequently.
- Remove from pot and set aside.
- Add the chicken to the pot and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the pepper and onion mix, celery, tomatoes, bay leaves, thyme, sugar and garlic.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and sausage.
- Cover and cook 5 minutes or until shrimp is opaque in center.
- Remove from heat.
- Add the rice and salt.
- Cover and let stand 15 minutes to absorb flavors and to cook the rice.
- Serve immediately.
- To freeze, cool completely.
- Spoon 1½ cups jambalaya into 1-quart freezer resealable plastic food storage bag.
- Release any excess air from bag and seal.
- To thaw, place bag in refrigerator overnight.
- Alternatively, place bag on a microwave-safe plate.
- Open bag and cook on high for 3 minutes or until hot.
Nutritional information Edit
- Cal.: 278 | Cal. from Fat: 22% | Total Fat: 7g | Sat. Fat: 1g | Carb.: 29g | Protein: 24g | Chol.: 117mg | Sodium: 702mg | Fiber: 4 g
- Dietary Exchanges: 2 Starch | 3 Meat