Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Thanks to Dr. Sylvester Graham, you can bake this crunchy cake from crackers named after him. Graham, who lived in the early 1800s insisted that whole wheat flour was far more healthy then white flour. In those days, it was. Whole wheat flour was made by grinding the whole grain of wheat. For white flour, only the soft inside of the grain was used. The outer layers, rich with vitamins and minerals, were left out. Today, white flour is "enriched" with the need vitamins and minerals. But whole wheat is still naturally healthy. So are the graham crackers, made from this flour. Use them for this one-bowl cake. It's all American.
- 1¾ cup graham cracker crumbs (about 40 crackers)
- ⅓ cup unsifted flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- ⅓ cup almonds, shelled
- ⅓ cup walnuts, shelled
- ½ cup soft butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp or 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 tbsp flour
- measuring cups
- medium mixing bowl
- measuring spoons
- mixing spoon
- chopper or paring knife
- 8-in. square cake pan
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Crush the graham crackers with hands until you have 1¾ cups coarse crumbs about the size of bread crumbs.
- Put the cracker crumbs into the mixing bowl with the flour, baking, and sugar.
- Stir with the spoon until they are combined.
- Chop the almonds and walnuts into small pieces.
- Add the soft butter, eggs, milk, vanilla and chopped nuts to the dry ingredients.
- Stir the mixture well.
- Then beat the batter until it is well blended.
- Grease the cake pan with the butter.
- Sprinkle with the tablespoon of flour and shake the pan until bottom is evenly coated.
- Shake out an extra flour.
- Bake the cake for 45 minutes.
- Test with a toothpick for doneness.
- Remove the from the oven let it cool slightly.
- Cut it into squares and serve warm.