A strong soup with peas and meat like smoked sausage, smoked ham or ham hock.
- Bring the water to a boil in a large heavy pot, then add peas and ham hock.
- When the water reboils, reduce the heat to a simmer and let cook, partially covered, for 2 hours.
- Stir it from time to time.
- Stir in the rest of the ingredients (except the kielbasa) and simmer for 30 more minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Remove the ham hock, cut away the meat, and return it to the pot with the kielbasa.
- Simmer for a couple of hours.
- Although the soup is now done and can be eaten, best is to leave it overnight and gently reheat the next day.
- Eat with dark, heavy bread.