- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour and confectioners' sugar.
- Make a well in the center.
- Combine the melted butter, egg and milk; pour into the well.
- Use a knife to stir until just combined.
- Set the dumpling mixture aside.
- In a large saucepan, over medium-high heat, mix together the water, golden syrup, brown sugar and lemon juice until well blended.
- Add the remaining ¼ cup of butter, and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Once the mixture is boiling, carefully drop heaping tablespoons of the dumpling mix into the sauce.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 10 minutes, or until the dumplings have risen and cooked through.
- Ladle syrup over the dumplings occasionally while cooking.