Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Pigeon pie. For a feast it is better to take a turkey otherwise you need too many fowls.
- puff pastry
- 1 or 2 pigeons
- a little fat
- some thinly sliced onions
- some cloves
- a few allspice
- a bay leaf
- some peppercorns
- a little water
- a little vermicelli (laxa)
- some sago
- Line a flat pie-dish or a large plate with puff-pastry.
- Spread the following filling over it, leaving and edge of about an inch.
- Filling : cut up one or two turkeys.
- Heat a little fat and brown some thinly sliced onions, but do not let them go too dark.
- Then put in the pigeon and braise it gently.
- Add some cloves, a few allspice, a bay-leaf and some peppercorns.
- If necessary add a little water.
- When the meat is almost cooked add a little vermicelli (laxa) and some sago.
- Let all the ingredients simmer until the pigeon is cooked.
- Remove the bones and cut the meat small.
- Spread the meat evenly over the pastry and cover it with a second layer.
- Prick it and brush it with egg.
- Then bake it in a hot oven until it is nice and crisp.
- The oven must be hot otherwise the pastry will not go flaky.