Makes 6 servings
- 1 cup spaghetti or pizza sauce
- 1 ready-to-cook duckling (4 to 4½ pounds)
- salt and ground black pepper
- ¼ cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 6 cups cooked rice
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 x 20-ounce can pitted bing cherries
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons currant jelly
- Melt butter in skillet; add onion and celery and cook until tender but not brown.
- Add rice, peel, thyme, salt and pecans.
- Drain cherries, reserving juice; measure 1 cup of cherries and cut into quarters.
- Add to rice mixture; toss lightly to mix well. Stuff duckling.
- Truss duckling and place breast side up on rack in shallow roasting pan. Bake at 325 °F for 3 hours, or until done.
- Spoon remainder of dressing into buttered casserole to cook along with the duckling the last hour of cooking, or freeze the casserole for future use.
- Measure 3 tablespoons fat and drippings from duckling.
- Heat in skillet; add flour and cook over medium heat until flour is browned.
- Measure reserved cherry juice; add water to make 2 cups.
- Stir into mixture in skillet; add remaining cherries and currant jelly and simmer until jelly is melted.
- Serve duckling accompanied by sauce.