This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Neely Estate in Waxahachie, Texas in 1994.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 1 head cabbage
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons bacon grease
- 1 pinch nutmeg or mace
- ½ teaspoon flour
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Shred the cabbage.
- Melt half the butter in heavy pot then add cabbage and toss until covered with the butter.
- Add bacon grease and cover then cook gently for 20 minutes.
- Add nutmeg or mace and flour.
- Stir well then add remaining butter and toss until melted into the cabbage.
- Sprinkle with pepper.