Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Baked penne with sausage and garlic
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Source: Cooking Light, October 2000
- Yield: 10 servings
- 2 whole garlic heads
- 1 pound sweet turkey Italian sausage
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh or ¼ teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh or ¼ teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 tablespoons butter or stick margarine
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- ⅔ cup (about 2½ ounces) shredded gruyère or Swiss cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 8 cups hot cooked penne (about 1 pound uncooked tube-shaped pasta) or rigatoni
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Remove white papery skin from garlic heads (do not peel or separate the cloves).
- Wrap each head separately in foil. Bake at 350F for 1 hour; cool 10 minutes.
- Separate cloves; squeeze to extract garlic pulp. Discard skins. Set garlic aside.
- Increase oven temperature to 400°F.
- Remove casings from sausage. Cook sausage in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until browned, stirring to crumble.
- Remove from pan with a slotted spoon.
- Place sausage in a large bowl; stir in sage and rosemary.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Add the flour to melted butter, stirring with a whisk.
- Gradually add the milk; cook until slightly thick, stirring constantly with a whisk (about 10 minutes).
- Stir in roasted garlic, cheeses, salt, and pepper. Remove mixture from heat.
- Add 5½ cups cheese sauce and cooked pasta to sausage, stirring to coat.
- Spoon pasta mixture in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Top with remaining sauce.
- Bake at 400°F for 15 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
Nutritional Information Edit
Calories 434 (30% from fat) | fat 14.4g (sat 7.2g, mono 4.5g, poly 2g) | protein 26.3g | cholesterol 57 mg | calcium 425 mg | sodium 700 mg | fiber 1.4g | iron 3 mg | carbohydrate 48.7g