Prep Time: ~ 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Yields: 8 servings
This is a thick and hearty chili with some good heat that will warm you up and fill you up too. Makes a great meal all by itself. Best served with sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese on top. Even better with some good southern corn bread on the side!
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 cups diced onion - yellow or white
- 3 jalapeño peppers, seeded and diced
- 5 cloves of minced garlic
- 3 large carrots, chopped into ½ inch slices
- 3 – 4 medium red potatoes, chopped into 1 inch cubes - about 2 cups
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 1 x 28 ounce can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 x 15 ounce can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 x 15 ounce can of red kidney or pinto beans
- 1 cup black coffee - even better if you can do French press
- 1½ cups dark beer of your choice
Spice Mix Edit
- 4 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tsp white pepper
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Brown the beef in a 6 quart pot over medium heat until juices begin to simmer.
- Add the onion, jalapeños, garlic, and spice mix and continue simmering until beef is no longer pink.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, bell peppers, crushed tomatoes, coffee and beer and stir well.
- Add black and red beans last and mix in gently.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour until chili is thick.
- Portion into bowls, top with sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese, serve with corn bread, and enjoy!