Recipe from The Sneaky Kitchen
- ⅔ cups sugar
- 4 tbsp cornstarch
- ⅛ tsp salt (optional)
- 3 cups low-fat or skim milk
- 3 egg yolks
- ½ cup lite cream cheese, fat free, or Neufchatel
- 1 cup fat-free sour cream
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Mix the dry ingredients in a small bowl.
- Add between ½ to 1 cup of the milk, stirring to dissolve the corn starch.
- Place the remaining milk in a teflon saucepan over medium fire.
- Heat just to the boiling point, stirring frequently.
- Stir the sugar/corn starch mixture again to re-mix.
- Pour into the hot milk and bring back to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat and boil for about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat for a moment.
- Beat the egg yolks with a fork in the same small container in which the sugar and starch were mixed.
- Pour a tablespoon of hot pudding into the yolks, beating with a fork or whisk.
- Continue to add and beat until you have added about ¼ cup of the hot mixture.
- Return pudding to the fire and add the egg yolk mixture, stirring vigorously.
- Continue to stir until mixture boils for another minute.
- Remove from heat.
- Place the cream cheese in the small bowl.
- Add a little hot pudding and mix well.
- Continue to add hot pudding, stirring until the cream cheese is liquefied.
- Add the cheese mixture to the pudding.
- Add the fat-free sour cream and vanilla, and mix thoroughly.
- DO NOT use a mixer, food processor or blender! Chill well and enjoy!