An easy to make side dish or baked brunch dish.
- 1½ tsp vegetable oil
- ½ cup chopped onions
- 17 oz whole kernel corn
- ¾ cup cornmeal
- 2 eggs
- 4 egg whites
- ½ cup non-fat milk
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- bottled salsa, taco sauce, chili sauce or tomato sauce
- In medium saucepan over medium heat, cook onion in oil, stirring occasionally, until tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, drain corn reserving liquid.
- Add water to liquid to make 1 cup.
- Add liquid mixture and cornmeal to onions.
- Cook and stir until mixture boils.
- Remove from heat.
- Thoroughly blend in milk, eggs, and corn.
- In small bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Stir into cornmeal mixture.
- Pour into greased 9 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan.
- Bake in preheated 350°F.
- Oven until knife inserted near center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Top with salsa to taste.
- To serve, cut into squares.
Nutritional information Edit
Per serving): 212 calories | total fat 4 g (15% of calories)