- Stewing Steak - 700 g (1* lb), in 2.5 cm (1 inch) cubes,
- plain flour - 25 g (1 oz),
- Onion - 1 medium, sliced,
- Cloves - 4,
- port - 150 ml (* pint),
- beef stock - 450 ml (* pint), to cover,
- Sausagemeat - 225 g (8 oz),
- Fresh breadcrumbs - 50 g (2 oz),
- Fresh parsley - 2 tbsp, chopped,
- Redcurrant jelly - 1 tbsp.
1. Pre-heat oven to 170C / 325F / Gas 3. 2. Toss the meat in the flour, shaking off excess. Put into an oven-proof casserole dish.
4. Cover and bake for 3 hours, until the meat is tender.
5. Meanwhile, mix together the sausagemeat, breadcrumbs and parsley, form the mixture into 8 balls.
6. 40 minutes before the end of the cooking time, stir the redcurrant jelly into the casserole. Add the forcemeat balls and cook, uncovered, until the forcemeat balls are cooked and slightly brown. Skim off any excess fat and serve hot.