Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Ethiopian chicken stew
- 3 cups Bermuda onion, chopped finely
- 3 oz butter or olive oil
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp ginger
- 1 cup water
- 3 lbs chicken with bones and skin, including neck and gizzards., cut in 1" pieces
- 2 cups water
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 8 eggs, hard-boiled
- In a 4-to 6-quart Dutch oven or heavy stewpot.
- Brown onion without fat, until quite dark, stirring constantly.
- Mix onion, butter / oil, cayenne, paprika, pepper and ginger.
- Blend the seasoning into the onions.
- Add 1 cup water.
- Soak chicken in 2 cups water and ¼ cup lemon juice for 10 minutes.
- Drain the water from each piece of chicken.
- Add chicken to onion mixture, stirring it through.
- Simmer over low heat until chicken is tender.
- Add more water, if necessary, to bring to stew texture (or if wat is watery, thicken with 2 tablespoons of flour dissolved in 3 tablespoons of water).
- Add 8 peeled hard-boiled eggs a few minutes before serving.