Ethiopian chicken stew
- 3 cups Bermuda onion, chopped finely
- 3 oz butter or olive oil
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp ginger
- 1 cup water
- 3 lbs chicken with bones and skin, including neck and gizzards., cut in 1" pieces
- 2 cups water
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 8 eggs, hard-boiled
- In a 4-to 6-quart Dutch oven or heavy stewpot.
- Brown onion without fat, until quite dark, stirring constantly.
- Mix onion, butter / oil, cayenne, paprika, pepper and ginger.
- Blend the seasoning into the onions.
- Add 1 cup water.
- Soak chicken in 2 cups water and ¼ cup lemon juice for 10 minutes.
- Drain the water from each piece of chicken.
- Add chicken to onion mixture, stirring it through.
- Simmer over low heat until chicken is tender.
- Add more water, if necessary, to bring to stew texture (or if wat is watery, thicken with 2 tablespoons of flour dissolved in 3 tablespoons of water).
- Add 8 peeled hard-boiled eggs a few minutes before serving.