Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Stuffed cabbage leaves with sweet-sour sauce. This is an Iranian version of Stuffed cabbage leaves
- 18 leaves cabbage
- 750 g finely ground beef or ground lamb
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup short-grain rice
- ¼ cup parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons coriander, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- fresh ground black pepper
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup cider vinegar
- Separate the leaves carefully from the head of the cabbage.
- Blanch in boiling water for about 5 minutes until limp.
- Do not overcook.
- Drain in a colander.
- Cut out the thick section [ribs], only removing the lower portion.
- Combine the mince with onion, rice, herbs and turmeric.
- Add 1½ tsp salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide mixture into 18 portions.
- Spread a cabbage leaf flat on the work surface and place one filling portion on the base of the leaf.
- Roll once, fold in the sides and roll up into a firm package.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Line a heavy pan with cabbage trimmings or a well washed outer leaf.
- Pack rolls in close together in layers.
- Add 1 cup cold water and invert a heavy plate over the rolls.
- Cover, bring to a simmer and cook gently for 45 minutes.
- Blend sugar and vinegar and add to pan.
- Tilt pan to blend liquids.
- Cover and cook for a further 30 minutes.
- Serve with chelou or flat bread.