- Makes 4 servings
- 4 small red bell peppers
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 pound lean ground beef or lamb
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground allspice (optional)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 x 14½-ounce can peeled whole tomatoes (undrained), chopped
- 1 x 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon ground red pepper
- Cut peppers in half lengthwise; remove stems, seeds and ribs.
- Set aside.
- Combine rice, beef, onion, parsley, salt, black pepper, nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice and egg in large bowl.
- Press stuffing into pepper halves, rounding mixture on top.
- Blend tomatoes, tomato sauce, garlic, black pepper and red pepper in large skillet.
- Place peppers in sauce, stuffing side up.
- Bring sauce to a boil; simmer, covered, 30 to 40 minutes, or until meat is cooked.
- Remove stuffed peppers from sauce with slotted spoon.
- Reduce sauce, if necessary; pour over peppers.