Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Stuffed vine leaves with rice and meat. Dolmades is an appetizer delicacy wrapped in vine leaves (this recipe was transcribed by somebody observing their old Grandma do it the traditional way)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- ½ cup white rice
- 1 egg
- ½ cup dry mint
- 1 tbsp butter, softened
- ½ bunch fresh parsley
- dill, if convenient
- 3 – 4 tbsp lemon juice
- water, if needed
- 20 to 40 grape leaves
Avgolemono sauce (egg-lemon dressing) Edit
- Knead all ingredients in a bowl.
- If the consistency is too hard, add water, one tablespoon at a time (up to 4 tbsp).
- Grape leaves are best picked from grape vines in the spring, while they are still tender.
- They can be washed and frozen between layers of waxed paper and will keep for a year.
- They are also available in jars from some fruit markets (especially ones that carry a lot of Greek/Italian imported foods).
- Depending on the size, you will need 20 to 40 grape leaves (fila - pronounced fee'-lah). Small leaves tend to be more tender.
- Boil grape leaves until they are soft, but not tender.
- The time will depend on the leaves.
- Fresh ones will only take a minute.
- Fold grape leaves around small spoonfuls of meat mixture, sealing completely.
- In a large pot (preferably one with a large surface area on the bottom), melt ½ stick (4 tbsp ) butter.
- Arrange rolled dolmades on top.
- Do this all at once, not as you roll them.
- Pour 3 – 4 cups water or chicken broth over dolmades, cover, and simmer for 2 hours.
Avgolemono sauce Edit
- Separate egg.
- Whisk egg white mixed with 1 tsp water; add yolk and mix.
- Add corn starch (she gave no measurement) to lemon juice and stir; add to egg mixture.
- Skim broth off dolmades (it is now a chicken/beef broth and should be greatly reduced because of the rice) and add 1 tbsp at a time to the egg mixture, whisking well.
- egg mixture should thicken.
- Remove dolmades from heat.
- Arrange dolmades in a bowl for serving.
- Mix remaining broth into egg-lemon mixture.
- Stir well and pour over dolmades.