Algerian Stuffed Vegetables
- 5 small onions
- 4 small tomatoes
- 1 zucchini cut into even cylinders approximately the same height as the onions and tomatoes
- 100 gm of ground Lamb or Beef
- 5-6 green olives* (use Spanish or Italian if you cannot find Algerian ), chopped
- 1 shallot minced
- 1 tablespoon of chopped herbs such as basil, thyme, flat leaf parsley or coriander leaf (cilantro)
- salt and pepper
- 1 egg
- olive oil
1) Stuff the Vegetables with the stuffing.
2) Drizzle some olive in the pan and dot the vegetables with butter. A lot of the fat will cook off into the baking dish and can be drained before service. The onions take longer to become tender, some cooks start cooking them first for about 15–20 minutes.
3) Cover with foil and bake in a preheated 350F (175C) until tender, about 1 hour depending on the size of your vegetables.
4) Remove the foil about 10–15 minutes before the end of cooking to color them a bit.
5) You can sprinkle some fresh herbs as a garnish.