Preserved mixed vegetables
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 1 medium daikon radish, finely sliced
- 10 shallots, finely sliced
- 1 medium carrot, finely sliced
- 1 cup finely sliced chayote or green papaya
- 2 cups fish sauce
- ½ cup palm sugar
- 2 or 3 small red chilies, seeded and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 sprinkle radish with salt and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Pat dry with a towel.
- Wash and dry the shallots.
- Dry all the vegetables in the sun for 1 day (or in a very low-temperature oven, for approximately 3 hours).
- Place in a sterilized glass jar.
- In a small saucepan, heat fish sauce, palm sugar, chilies, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Simmer and reduce for 10 minutes, or until reduced by one-third.
- Pour liquid into jar.
- Close the lid.
- Marinate for 1 week.