- 2 cups chickpeas soaked in water overnight
- 1 cup green lentils soaked in water overnight
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons of tomato paste or tomato jam
- 1 tablespoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- olive oil
- Cook the chickpeas in a pot of water for about one hour.
- Add the lentils and cook for about 20 minutes. Drain and rinse the chickpeas and lentils under cool water. You can remove the skins if you want, but an Algerian usually won't give up that extra bit of fiber.
- Sauté the onions, garlic and tomato paste in olive oil for about 10–15 minutes. This will mellow the flavor of the tomato paste.
- Add the chickpeas, lentils, spices and about 1 tablespoons of salt or more to taste.
- Cover with water, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Some cooks like to gently mash the chick peaks. Serve with Kesra or Khobz.