Algerian chicken with pumpkin
- 2 whole chickens
- 2 whole large onions, grated or pureed in a blender with some water
- 2 – 3 cups of pumpkin, cut into small pieces
- spices that work for the dish are my ras el hanout blend, saffron, turmeric, cinnamon or nutmeg just to name a few. you can omit spices entirely and the dish will still be delicious.
- Put all the ingredients in a big pot with about 1½ cups of water, season with salt and pepper, add spices if you will be using them.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until the chicken is tender, about 1½ hours.
- You can serve this as is with couscous or bread.
- You can gently wipe off the sauce on the chicken, butter it and brown it in a very hot oven.
- The sauce can be passed through a sieve or a food mill for a more refined texture or it can be puréed in a blender.