Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Algerian chicken with pumpkin
- 2 whole chickens
- 2 whole large onions, grated or pureed in a blender with some water
- 2 – 3 cups of pumpkin, cut into small pieces
- spices that work for the dish are my ras el hanout blend, saffron, turmeric, cinnamon or nutmeg just to name a few. you can omit spices entirely and the dish will still be delicious.
- Put all the ingredients in a big pot with about 1½ cups of water, season with salt and pepper, add spices if you will be using them.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until the chicken is tender, about 1½ hours.
- You can serve this as is with couscous or bread.
- You can gently wipe off the sauce on the chicken, butter it and brown it in a very hot oven.
- The sauce can be passed through a sieve or a food mill for a more refined texture or it can be puréed in a blender.