Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Devil's cake. This type of chocolate cake is very popular all over Iceland, and you can buy a slice in most cafes and bakeries. I like it best when it has been frozen and thawed before glazing, because the cake will then be nicely moist.
- 1¾ cup flour
- 1½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- ⅔ cup milk
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 eggs or 1 egg and 2 yolks (use whites to make angel's cream icing)
- ½ cup dark cocoa
- 100 g margarine/butter (soft)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Mix together the dry ingredients.
- Add milk and mix well.
- Add eggs, soft margarine/butter and vanilla extract and mix well.
- Pour into two cake pans and bake at 175°C until firm.
- Remove gently from pans and cool.
- When cold, spread one half with rhubarb jam (leave it out if you don't have any), and spread cocoa icing over the jam.
- Put the other half on top and cover with chocolate icing.
- For a darker cake, use more dark cocoa.
- Proper devil's cake should be almost black in colour.
- Other decoration ideas: cover with cocoa-butter icing.
- Put mashed bananas between the layers.