Devil's cake. This type of chocolate cake is very popular all over Iceland, and you can buy a slice in most cafes and bakeries. I like it best when it has been frozen and thawed before glazing, because the cake will then be nicely moist.
- 1¾ cup flour
- 1½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- ⅔ cup milk
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 eggs or 1 egg and 2 yolks (use whites to make angel's cream icing)
- ½ cup dark cocoa
- 100 g margarine/butter (soft)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Mix together the dry ingredients.
- Add milk and mix well.
- Add eggs, soft margarine/butter and vanilla extract and mix well.
- Pour into two cake pans and bake at 175°C until firm.
- Remove gently from pans and cool.
- When cold, spread one half with rhubarb jam (leave it out if you don't have any), and spread cocoa icing over the jam.
- Put the other half on top and cover with chocolate icing.
- For a darker cake, use more dark cocoa.
- Proper devil's cake should be almost black in colour.
- Other decoration ideas: cover with cocoa-butter icing.
- Put mashed bananas between the layers.