Peanut & Pecan Recipes by the South Carolina Department of Agriculture, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- Yields about 2 pounds.
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- ½ cup water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups raw shelled peanuts, skins on
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- Heat sugar, syrup, water and salt to a rolling boil in a heavy saucepan.
- Add peanuts.
- Reduce heat to medium and stir constantly.
- Cook to hard crack stage (293 °F).
- Add butter, then baking soda.
- Beat rapidly and pour on a buttered surface spreading to ¼ inch thickness.
- When cool break into pieces.
- Store in an airtight container.