Roasted melon seeds. In traditional southern African societies, pieces of pumpkin and melon were dried in the sun for winter use. When soaked and cooked, they provided important nutrients during the long months of cold weather. Their roasted seeds were eaten either hot or cold. Try these as a party or after-school snack.
- Wash the seeds well, rubbing to remove any pulp.
- Stir salt into the wet seeds.
- Heat on the stove a dry empty pot or large skillet - preferably cast iron.
- Add the salted seeds.
- Cook for 6 or 8 minutes over moderate heat, stirring continuously.
- Seeds are ready when they have cracked open.
- They are meant to be savored one at a time, rather than in handfuls.