Posted on NVN by Joni Cloud.
- Source: 1972 Weight Watchers Cookbook
- Makes 4 servings.
- ¼ tsp gelatin
- 1 tbsp water, cold
- ½ cup evaporated skim milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- sugar substitute to equal 4 tsp sugar
- Sprinkle gelatin over cold water in 1 ½ quart mixing bowl.
- Heat evaporated skim milk over very low heat or in the top part of a double boiler placed over hot water.
- When milk is hot but not boiling, add all of it, including thin skin which form on top, to the mixing bowl.
- Stir well to dissolve gelatin, then chill thoroughly in freezer for a few minutes.
- Whip cold mixture with beater at medium speed until it stands in peaks but is not dry.
- Add vanilla and sweetener and beat just long enough to incorporate them.
- Put mixing bowl into freezer until mixture is almost frozen, 30 – 40 minutes.
- Divide into 4 equal portions and use at once.
- Or store frozen cream mixture, in 4 small bowls, or in an ice cube tray - without the dividers - and use as desired.
- Let ice "cream" soften slightly in the refrigerator before serving.
Coffee ice cream Edit
- Follow recipe above, but dissolve 1½ teaspoons instant coffee powder in evaporated skim milk in double boiler.
- Add dash of maple and black walnut extract if desired.
Nutritional information Edit
Count 1 oz evaporated skim milk per serving.