Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Source: The New Family Cookbook for People with Diabetes via The Diabetic Gourmet Daily Recipe Mailer
- Yield: 16 canapes (8 servings)
- 1 x 13-to 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth, or 2 cups homemade chicken broth
- ½ cup yellow cornmeal
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 marinated artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- 3 slices (about 3 ounces) part-skim mozzarella cheese, cut into 32 very thin strips
- Combine 1 cup water, the broth, cornmeal, and salt in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Simmer over low heat 10 to 12 minutes, or until thickened, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the oil.
- Spray an 8-inch-square dish or pan with non-stick pan spray.
- Pour the batter into the pan and chill until firm.
- Cut the polenta into 16 squares, each 2x2 inches.
- Place the squares on a jelly roll pan or cookie sheet.
- Place an artichoke heart quarter on each square.
- Crisscross 2 strips of cheese over each artichoke heart, forming an X.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Broil 5 to 6 inches from the heat until the cheese is melted and the polenta is heated through, about 3 minutes.
Nutritional Information Edit
Per Serving (2 canapes):
- Calories: 145 | Fat: 8 g | Cholesterol: 8 mg | Sodium: 333 mg | Carbohydrate: 14 g | Dietary Fiber: 1 g | Sugars: 1 g | Protein: 7 g
- Diabetic Exchanges: 1 Starch/Bread, 1-1/2 Fat