- Add pinto beans to a 1-quart saucepan and cover them with water.
- Cook over medium heat 1 hour or until tender.
- Simmer onion and green pepper in ¼ cup water in a large nonstick skillet until onion is translucent.
- Add ground beef and cook over medium heat until browned.
- Drain excess fat from pan.
- Stir in garlic, chili powder, cumin, and cayenne.
- Add drained tomatoes, tomato sauce, and beans to chili mixture.
- Stir well and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Cover and cook for ½ hour over low heat.