- 1 onion, diced
- 1 – 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp ground turmeric
- 1½ tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ginger root, finely grated
- ¼ tbsp ground cardamom
- 1 cup dried lentils or split peas (if using split peas soak overnight)
- 3 cups hot water
- 1 tbsp salt
- Sauté in water or broth the onion, garlic and spices.
- Add the lentils, hot water and salt.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until lentils are tender, about 45 minutes.
- Remove cover and simmer over very low heat, stirring frequently, about 20 more minutes, until lentils are mushy and thick, about the consistency of refried beans.
- Garnish with onions, thinly sliced and browned, or a squeeze of lemon.
- Serve with rice.