Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 1 cup split lentils, sorted and rinsed
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 small whole green chili, seeded and chopped
1.Bring the water to a boil in a pan (large enough to hold the water with enough room to add the lentils.)
2.Add the lentils to the water and all other ingredients except salt, cilantro, and green chili.
3.Let cook for 15 minutes.
4.Add salt and the green chili and let boil for one minute.
5.Garnish with cilantro and serve hot.
- Dhaal (Indian Lentil Soup) from the Public Health cookbook—original source of recipe, taken from government resource in the public domain