- Heat oil in a wok or other deep pan and fry the cashews over moderate heat, stirring constantly with a slotted metal spoon so they colour evenly.
- When pale golden, remove with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Don't wait until the colour is as deep as you think it should be, because the nuts will continue to cook in their own heat even after they have been removed from the oil.
- When all the nuts have been fried and drained, combine chilli powder and salt and sprinkle over, tossing well to distribute the flavours.
- When cold, dust off excess salt and chilli powder and serve. May be made a week or two before required and stored in an airtight container.