Made this for Father's day. You need a deep fryer, an injector and a thermometer for this. This must be made out doors away from building on a bright sunny day.
I'm really sorry that I didn't get a picture of the turkey before I carved it. So the carved picture is what you get for now. I'm making this for the Fourth of July so I hope to get the picture of the whole turkey then.
- 12-16 lbs turkey, washed dried inside and out
- ¼ cup Cajun seasoning
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 8 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 fresh sage leaves, chopped
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, chopped
- Take whole turkey place in deep fryer fill with water remove turkey.
- Mark the water line with a marker.
- Spill out water and dry careful not to remove marked line.
- Fill with canola oil.
- Heat oil to 350 °F degrees.
- In a small pot melt butter and oil and fresh herbs and crushed garlic let simmer 15 minutes.
- Strained and set aside.
- Save garlic and herbs.
- Tie legs and wings with cotton string to keep them in place next to the body.
- Place the chopped strained garlic and herbs under the skin of the turkey.
- Inject the herbed butter-oil mixture into the breast and legs.
- Rub the Cajun mixture inside and outside of the turkey.
- Place the turkey breast side up in lowering slowly into oil.
- Caution: of splattering oil.
- Fry turkey 3½ minute per pound.
- Use a meat thermometer in the thigh and when it reads 180 °F its done.
- Remove from hot oil and drain on paper towels.
- Let rest for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Carve and serve.