This is high in sodium. Try to cut back on sodium where you can... like lower sodium/fats for the dressing and cheeses and meats. Take care, Gloria
- Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Source: Midwest Living
- Prep: 20 minutes
- Bake: 25 to 30 minutes
- Makes 8 main-dish servings
- ½ cup bottled creamy garlic salad dressing
- ⅛ to ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 4 cups torn sorrel and/or spinach
- 2 cups cooked ham, chicken, turkey, beef, pork, or lamb, cut into bite-size strips
- 1 x 6-oz jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1 x 2¼ oz can sliced pitted ripe olives, drained
- 1 x 17.3 oz pkg. (2 sheets) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1½ cups shredded fontina cheese, provolone cheese, or mozzarella cheese (6 oz)
- 1½ cups shredded muenster cheese or gruyère cheese (6 oz)
- 3 cups assorted fresh mushrooms (shiitake, chanterelle, oyster, ya porcini, brown, and/or white)
- 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- In a small bowl, stir together salad dressing and cayenne pepper.
- Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine sorrel, desired meat, artichoke hearts, and olives.
- Toss lightly to mix.
- Cover; chill in the refrigerator while preparing crust.
- For a 14-inch round pizza, on a lightly floured surface place 1 sheet of pastry on top of the other sheet, staggering corners.
- Roll pastry from center to edge, forming a 14-inch circle (for a 15 x 10-inch rectangular pizza, place pastry sheets on top of each other without staggering the corners. Roll out pastry, forming a 15x10-inch rectangle).
- Wrap pastry around the rolling pin.
- Unroll pastry into a 14-inch deep-dish pizza pan (or a 15 x10 x1-inch baking pan).
- Prick bottom well with the tines of a fork.
- Bake in a 375°F oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until pastry is golden brown (pastry may shrink).
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine fontina and muenster cheese.
- Sprinkle 1½ cups of the cheese mixture over the warm crust.
- Top with mushrooms.
- Return crust to the oven.
- Bake for 4 to 5 minutes more or until cheese begins to melt.
- Meanwhile, pour dressing over sorrel mixture and toss lightly to coat.
- Spread sorrel mixture over melted cheese on crust.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese mixture.
- Return to oven.
- Bake for 4 to 5 minutes more or until cheese is melted.
- To serve, immediately garnish with tomato slices.
- Cut into wedges or squares.
Nutritional information Edit
- 693 Calories | 50g Total Fat | 17g Saturated Fat | 64mg Cholesterol | 1243mg Sodium | 41g Carbs | 4g Fiber | 22g Protein | 20% Vitamin C | 30% Calcium | 21% Iron