- 4 large, ripe bananas, cut in half width-wise, and then each half, in half again, length-wise
- 1/2 cup cold soy milk
- 1 tsp lemon juice or white vinegar
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 2 tbsp dry sweetener
- 1 tbsp cinnamon or Chinese five-spice powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- sparkling water or club soda, as needed
- 1/2 - 1 cup extra unbleached flour, for dredging bananas
- oil for deep frying
- In a deep pot, heat four inches of oil to 350 degrees F.
- Make sure it is the correct temperature!
- In a medium bowl, combine the soy milk and lemon juice or white vinegar.
- Stir in the dry ingredients until well-combined.
- Add sparkling water or club soda and stir lightly and quickly until the batter is of pancake batter consistency.
- Do not over mix or the finished product will be leaden.
- Dredge banana slices lightly in the extra flour, then dip thoroughly in the batter.
- Drop in the hot oil, a few at a time, and fry for 3-4 minutes, turning frequently, until they are a beautiful golden colour.
- Remove from hot oil with a slotted spoon and let rest on paper towel to absorb excess oil.
- Keep these hot in a 250 degree F. oven. Repeat with remaining banana slices.
- Serve these with generous dollops of vanilla soy ice cream, and/or chocolate sauce, and/or caramel sauce, and/or vegan "whipped cream".