Makes 16 servings
- no stick cooking spray
- 1⅓ cups flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa
- ¼ cup Argo corn starch
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1¼ cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 3 egg whites
- ½ cup Karo light corn syrup
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray 9x9-inch square baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl combine flour, cocoa, cornstarch, baking powder and salt.
- In a medium bowl with wire whisk or fork, stir together sugar and water 1 minute.
- Add egg whites and corn syrup; stir until blended.
- Gradually stir into dry ingredients until smooth.
- Pour into pan.
- Bake 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean.
- If desired, sprinkle with confectioners sugar.