They say that this is served on the Island of Crete as a main dish in the middle of the table and everyone eats out of the same dish, when the salad gets down to the end, everyone fights to sop up the olive oil and feta with a thick heavy bread that they serve in Greece. It is so good with the olive oil and feta on it.
- Contributed by David D. Vaughan
- Cut tomatoes in a way that you have ¼s while not cutting all the way through and then cut across several times so you have chunks.
- Slice the Bermuda (red) onion in half and then cut across in thin slices, kind of separate.
- Peel the European cucumbers and cut in half or quarters before cutting across to make thick slices.
- Now layer, cucumbers, tomatoes, onion, salting in between cucumbers and tomatoes, and then layering again.
- Sprinkle a thick layer of crumbled feta cheese on top of the layers and pour a liberal amount of olive oil over the feta.