Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Featured for the Fourth! by Chef David Nelson
- Contributed by SF&SC Y-Group
- 5 or 6 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- ½ lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 cup sugar
- ⅓ cup flour
- 1 tbsp arrowroot or cornstarch
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tsp allspice
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 prepared pie crusts, or your favorite recipe
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Put the apple slices in a large bowl and add the zest and the lemon juice.
- Toss to coat the apples.
- In a separate bowl, combine the sugar, flour, arrowroot, salt and allspice and mix thoroughly.
- Add the sugar mixture to the apples and stir gently to coat.
- Place the bottom crust into a 10-inch pie pan and top with apple mixture.
- Dot the top of the apples with pea size pieces of the butter.
- Top with second crust and crimp edges.
- Make 4 small slices in the crust for steam to escape.
- Wrap the edge of the pie with a piece of tin foil that just covers the crimped crust.
- Place the pie on a cookie sheet.
- I line mine with foil for easy clean up.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove foil and return to oven for about 30 minutes.
- Juices will run out of the pie usually.
- I wait until they show signs of thickening.
- Place on a wire cooling rack for an hour or so before slicing.