Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Contributed by Healthy Recipes For Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- From: Forbidden Foods Diabetic Cooking by Maggie Powers
- Yield: 16 Servings
- ½ cup diced dried dates
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp chopped walnuts
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- ½ cup low-fat (1%) milk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp granulated sugar, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9x5-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray.
- Place the dried dates and water in a small saucepan;
- Heat over medium heat until the water simmers;
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer, 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and set aside.
- in a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, walnuts, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- Make a well in the center.
- in another medium bowl, stir together the brown sugar, milk, oil, egg, and vanilla until well blended.
- Pour into the well of the flour mixture; Stir just until combined (do not over-mix), about 1 minute.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 35 minutes.
- Cool in the pan on a rack, 5-10 Minutes
- Then remove from the pan and place on the rack to finish cooling.
Nutrition information Edit
- 142 Calories | 2g Protein | 71mg Sodium | 14mg Cholesterol | 5g Fat | 24g Carbs
- Exchanges: 1½ carbs, 1 fat