- Sift the flour with the baking powder and salt.
- Set aside.
- In a large bowl mix the butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Gradually stir in the flour mixture until it is all well combined.
- Form the dough into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap or aluminum foil, and refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- Divide dough into four parts and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Meanwhile, make the filling: in a small saucepan combine the dates and sugar with ½ cup of water.
- Cook, stirring, over medium heat until the mixture has thickened - about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in the lemon juice and walnuts.
- Cool completely.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough, one part at a time, ⅛ inch thick.
- With a floured 2½ inch cookie cutter (or the bottom of a glass), cut out cookies.
- Re-roll trimmings and cut.
- Using a spatula, place half of the cookies on a lightly greased cookie sheet, about 2 inches apart.
- Spread 1 teaspoon of filling over each cookie.
- Cover with another cookie.
- With a floured fork, seal the edges firmly.
- Also, prick the center of the cookie once with the fork.
- Bake in a 375°F oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove to a wire rack, cool and enjoy!