Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- Makes 15 lbs of fruit cake.
- 1 lbs blanched almonds
- 3 lbs seedless raisins
- 2 lbs currants
- 1 lbs candied cherries cut in half
- 1 lbs dried figs, chopped
- 1 lbs dates, cut up
- 1½ lbs chopped mixed candied peel
- 1 lbs candied pineapple, cut up
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cup soft butter
- 3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 12 large egg yolks
- 5½ cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp mace
- 2 tsp allspice
- 2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cloves
- 3 tsp baking soda
- ¾ cup prune juice
- ¼ cup brandy
- 12 large egg whites
- This recipe makes a very large amount (about 28 cups) of fruit cake batter and can be baked in a number of different sizes of pan.
- If you want to make several small cakes for gifts you can divide the batter among 9 8x4x3 inch loaf pans using a generous 3 cups of batter for each.
- Or if you wish to use larger loaf pans you can put the batter in 6 9x5x3 inch pans using a generous 4 ½ cups batter in each.
- Bundt pans make attractive cakes and this amount of batter is enough for 3 12 cup bundt pans using a generous 9 cups of batter in each.
- If you use 10-inch tube pans you can make 2 cakes using 12 cups of batter for each and an 8x4x2 ½ inch loaf pan with the remaining batter.
- Of course you can also use any combination of these sizes.
- For example, you can make a large cake in a bundt pan, two 9x5x3-in loaves and three 8x4x3-inch loaves.
- If you wish you can prepare half the batter and bake it in three 9x5x3-inch loaf pans or in one 12-cup bundt pan and one 9x5x3-inch loaf pan.
- Line greased pans with greased heavy brown paper, except for the bundt pan which should be greased and floured.
- Combine nuts and fruit in a very large bowl or roasting pan.
- Add 1 cup of flour and toss by hand to coat fruit with flour.
- Cream butter well (you can use your electric mixer for this part of the recipe).
- Add Sugar and beat until fluffy.
- Beat in egg yolks.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl.
- Sift 5½ cups flour with salt, spices and soda and add to creamed mixture alternately with prune juice and brandy.
- Mix with a wooden spoon.
- Add this mixture to the fruit and nuts and blend well.the easiest way to blend this large amount of mixture is with your hands.
- Beat egg whites until stiff and fold into mixture.
- Measure into prapared pans and press well into the corners.
- Heat oven to 275 °F.
- Bake cakes in 8x4x3-inch pans for about 3 hours, in 9x5x3-inch pans or bundt pans for about 3 hours and 15 minutes and in 10-inch tube pans about 3 ½ hours or until a toothpick stuck in the center comes out clean.
- Let stand in pans a few minutes, then turn out on racks and cool.
- Strip off paper and wrap cakes in cheesecloth dampened with brandy and then in foil and store in a cool place.