This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Cashion Estate in Terrell, Texas in 1996.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- ¾ cup butter
- 5 Granny Smith apples
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Butter a tart pan with removable bottom or a square cake pan.
- Beat together ¾ cup butter and ¾ cup sugar in large bowl until blended.
- Add eggs and vanilla and beat until light and fluffy.
- Combine flour and baking powder in a small bowl then stir flour mixture into butter mixture to make a stuff batter.
- Spread into prepared pan.
- Peel apples then halve lengthwise and core.
- Place each half flat-side down then cut each half cross-wise into thin slices but keep slices together in shape of the apple.
- Press apple halves one at a time flat side down into batter in pan spacing evenly.
- Leave 1 inch of batter exposed in center.
- Brush apples with melted butter and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Serve warm with ice cream for a dessert or serve as a coffee cake.