- 1 bunch fresh spinach
- 1 bunch dandelion greens
- 1/2 bunch arugula
- 1/2 bunch watercress
- 3/4 cup Creamy Lemon-Tahini Dressing, "Super" Green Dressing or Apple-Flax Vinaigrette (/August '00/p. 49, 50)
- 2 Asian pears, cored, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- tempeh croutons
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 Tbs. shoyu, tamari or reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 8-oz. pkg. tempeh, cut into 1/2-inch squares
- 1 cup walnut halves (4 oz.)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
Make croutons: Preheat oven to 325 °F. In small bowl, whisk together oil, Cider, vinegar and shoyu. Add tempeh and mix well. Spread in medium baking dish and bake until golden, about 1 hour. Set aside to cool.
In medium skillet over medium heat, toast walnuts until fragrant, shaking pan occasionally, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat; cool briefly. Add maple syrup and return to medium heat. Stir until syrup has coated and hardened on walnuts, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to parchment paper, spreading them out to avoid clumping. Cool.